Roast Chicken with Sauce Vierge
Preparation time: 30 minutes
Cooking time: 1 hour
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 40gm butter
- 1 x 1.6kg Lilydale Free Range Whole Chicken
- 1 brown onion, finely chopped
- 200gm speck or pancetta, rind removed, diced
- 1 cup fresh sourdough breadcrumbs
- 2 tbsp lemon thyme leaves +extra sprigs, to garnish
- 1/3 cup almonds, toasted, roughly chopped
- 100gm goats cheese, crumbled
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 4 large truss tomatoes, peeled and deseeded*, finely diced
- 2 tbsp chervil leaves, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp tarragon leaves, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp parsley leaves, finely chopped
- 120ml olive oil
- 1 tsp white wine vinegar
Lemon wedges, to garnish, if desired
- Preheat oven to 220°C (200° fan-forced).
- Heat oil and half the butter in a large non-stick frying pan over medium high heat. Add the onion and speck or pancetta and cook for 5 minutes, or until onion softens. Set aside in a large bowl to cool.
- Meanwhile, rinse chicken and pat chicken dry with kitchen towel. Add the breadcrumbs, thyme, almonds, goats cheese and egg to the onion mixture. Season and stir well to combine.
- Spoon the stuffing into the chicken cavity, pressing down firmly. Tie the legs with cooking twine.
- Melt the remaining butter and brush over the chicken skin. Season and place thyme sprigs on top of chicken. Place chicken on a lightly oiled wire rack in a baking tray and cook for 20 minutes.
- Reduce heat to 200°C (180°fan-forced) and cook chicken for a further 40 minutes or until juices run clear. Cover chicken with foil and set aside to rest for 15 minutes.
- To make sauce vierge, combine the tomatoes, herbs and oil in a medium bowl. Season and stir vinegar through to taste. Set aside for 15 to 20 minutes to allow flavours to develop.
- Carve chicken with and serve with stuffing, sauce vierge, extra lemon thyme and lemon wedges, if desired.
* To peel tomatoes, using a small sharp knife cut a cross in the base of the tomato. Blanch the tomatoes in a large bowl of boiling water for 1 to 2 minutes or until skin begins to peel off. Refresh in a large bowl of chilled water and peel tomatoes.