Karaage Chicken with Pickled Salad and Jasmine Rice
A fast and fabulous takeaway meal in your home
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
- 500gm Lilydale Free Range Chicken thigh fillets, cut into 4cm pieces
- 1 Tblsp light soy sauce
- 1 Tblsp mirin
- 1 Tblsp finely grated ginger
- 1 Lebanese cucumber, cut into ribbons
- 1 large carrot, peeled, cut into ribbons
- 4 radishes, thinly sliced
- 1 cup shredded green cabbage
- 1 green onion, trimmed, thinly sliced diagonally + extra, thinly sliced, to serve
- 1 Tblsp lemon juice
- 2 Tblsp rice wine vinegar
- 1 Tblsp caster sugar
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- 1 cup cornflour
- 2 Tblsp plain flour
- Steamed jasmine rice, pickled ginger, Japanese mayonnaise, and lime wedges, to serve
- Place chicken in a large snaplock bag and add soy, ginger, and mirin. Refrigerate for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place the cucumber, carrot, radish, cabbage and green onions in a bowl. Whisk lemon juice, rice wine vinegar, and sugar together, season and drizzle over the vegetables. Toss to coat and set aside.
- Remove the chicken from the marinade and pat dry. Pour oil into a large saucepan coming about 5cm up the sides. Heat oil on medium-high heat, heat up to 170°C or until a cube of bread turns golden when dropped into the oil.
- Combine the flours together in a large snaplock bag, season, and add one-third of the chicken. Toss to coat, shake off excess flour and fry in the oil. Turn chicken for 3 to 4 minutes or until cooked through. Transfer chicken to a plate lined with paper towel.
- Repeat this process with remaining chicken, reheating the oil between batches.
- Sprinkle chicken with extra green onion. Serve with pickled salad, rice, Japanese mayonnaise and lime wedges.