Stout-Glazed Chicken with Quinoa & Nut Stuffing
Enjoy the roasted barley flavour and rich golden colour of this stout-glazed chicken
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 2 hours
- 1 x 1.6kg Lilydale Free Range Whole Chicken
- 2 Tblsp caster sugar
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1/2 tsp ground aniseed
- 1 strip pared orange rind
- 1/3 cup chicken stock
- 1 cup stout
- Tarragon sprigs, to garnish
- Quinoa and nut stuffing
- 1 Tblsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 brown onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup tri-colour quinoa, rinsed
- 2 Tblsp chopped tarragon
- 1/3 cup chopped walnuts
- 2 Tblsp natural sliced almonds
- To make quinoa and nut stuffing, heat oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add onion. Cook for 4 minutes or until softened. Add quinoa. Cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until toasted. Add 1 1/2 cups water. Increase heat to high and cover. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low. Simmer for 10 to 12 minutes or until water is absorbed and quinoa is tender. Transfer to a heatproof bowl. Cool for 10 minutes. Stir in tarragon and nuts. Season to taste.
- Preheat oven to 190C (170C fan-forced). Place sugar, cinnamon, aniseed, orange rind and stock in a medium saucepan; bring to a simmer, stirring until sugar dissolves. Remove from heat. Cool for 10 minutes. Stir in stout.
- Fill chicken cavity with stuffing. Tie legs together. Brush chicken with some of the stout mixture. Place chicken on a roasting rack over a large baking dish. Pour 2 cups water into baking dish. Bake for 1 hour 45 minutes, brushing with stout mixture every 15 minutes, or until cooked through. Garnish with tarragon sprigs and serve.