Stained Glass Christmas Star Cookies
Preparation time: 45 minutes (plus refrigeration and cooling)
Cooking time: 20 minutes
- 125g unsalted butter, softened
- 2/3 cup caster sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1½ cups plain flour
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 24 boiled lollies of various colours
- Using an electric mixer, beat butter, sugar and cinnamon for 4 minutes or until light and fluffy. Add egg yolks and vanilla; beat to combine.
- Combine flour, baking powder and salt in a large bowl. Add flour mixture to butter mixture on low speed, until combined. Form dough into a disc. Enclose in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, crush boiled lollies (see note), keeping all the colours separate.
- Preheat oven to 190C (170C fan-forced). Line 2 oven trays with baking paper.
- Roll out dough between 2 sheets of baking paper until 3mm thick. Return to refrigerator for 10 minutes to firm. Using a 6.5 star cutter, cut 18 stars from dough, re-rolling if necessary. Place on prepared trays. Using a 4.5cm star cutter, cut out stars from centres. Place stars on lined trays 3cm apart. Bake cookies for 6 mins or until starting to firm. Fill centres with crushed lollies. Bake for 3 mins until lollies have melted and cookies are starting to brown. Stand 3 mins, transfer to wire racks to cool.
- Package in cellophane bag, tie with ribbons.
Note: To crush lollies, you can use a mortar and pestle or place lollies in a snap-lock bag and use a rolling pan to crush.
Tip: You can bake the small stars from the centres for 6 minutes or until lightly browned. You can also bake the cookies in 2 batches, if you prefer.