Chestnut, blackberry & sour dough stuffing
Tip… If fresh chestnuts are not available, substitute for 100g canned chestnuts. This stuffing can easily be used to stuff a whole chicken.
- 200g chestnuts, washed
- 100g spelt sourdough bread, torn
- 100g blackberries
- 1 bunch chives, snipped
- 1 tablespoon chopped sage
- 1 tablespoon chopped pistachios
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 30g butter, melted
- 1egg, lightly beaten
- Preheat oven to 200C or 180C fan-forced. Using a small knife, cut a cross at the base of each chestnut. Place on a baking tray and bake for 10-20 minutes, until tender. Transfer to a clean tea towel and while still warm, peel off outer skin. Cool, then roughly chop.
- Place sourdough in a blender, and blend until coarse breadcrumbs. Transfer to a bowl. Add chestnuts, blackberries, chives, sage, pistachios, garlic, butter and egg. Season well.
- Spoon into foil in log shape. Roll up and twist ends to seal. Bake for 30 minutes, until frm. Sit for 15 minutes before slicing to serve.