Kombucha and Green Tea Chicken with Roasted Vegetables
Here's our super simple recipe of the flavourful Kombucha and Green Tea Chicken with Roasted Vegetables. Requiring the same prep work as any chicken roast, this recipe will definitely be a talking point at the table.
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 1 ½ hours (+10 minutes resting)
- 1 Lilydale Whole Chicken (approx. 1.6kg)
- 330ml kombucha**
- 1 tsp green tea leaves
- 2 Tblsp honey
- 1 lemon, cut into quarters
- 1 large red onion, cut into wedges
- 12 Brussels sprouts, halved
- 1 bunch baby carrots, trimmed, peeled
- ½ small Chinese cabbage, cut into wedges
- 20gm butter, diced into small cubes
- olive oil
- Preheat oven to 200°C (180° fan forced).
- In a medium saucepan, combine the kombucha and green tea leaves over medium heat. Bring to a simmer and cook until liquid reduces by about half. Stir in honey and simmer for a further 2 to 3 minutes, or until slightly thickened.
- Place the chicken in the centre of a large roasting pan. Place the lemon quarters inside the chicken cavity and tie legs together with string. Add the onion, Brussels sprouts, carrots and cabbage to the pan. Baste the chicken with the kombucha glaze. Dot the butter over the vegetables and lightly spray with olive oil. Season the chicken and vegetables with salt and pepper.
- Cook the chicken and vegetables for 1 ¼ hours or until chicken is cooked and juices run clear. Baste the chicken with the remaining glaze 2 to 3 times during cooking. Cover pan with foil and rest chicken for 10 minutes.
- Serve chicken with vegetables and spoon over any pan juices.
** Kombucha is a lightly sparkling fermented tea beverage and is available at most health stores and specialty food stores.