Chargrilled Herb Chicken with Freekeh and Peach Salad
We picked freekeh from the range of on-trend ancient grains enjoying attention for their power-packed nutritional benefits. Being sun-dried and roasted on fire, freekeh offers a beautiful smoked flavour.
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 25 minutes
- 8 Lilydale thigh fillets, fat trimmed, halved
- 1 cup (185gm) freekeh
- 2 Tblsp parsley leaves, finely chopped + extra leaves, to serve
- 2 Tblsp chives, finely chopped
- 2 Tblsp mint, finely chopped
- 4 Tblsp olive oil
- 1 small avocado, chopped
- 2 peaches, cut into wedges
- 250gm tomato medley, halved
- 1 bunch watercress, leaves picked
- 80gm goat’s cheese, crumbled
- 2 Tblsp pistachios, toasted, roughly chopped
- 1 Tblsp balsamic vinegar
- Cook freekeh according to packet directions. Rinse under cold water and drain.
- Meanwhile, preheat a barbecue or chargrill pan over medium-high heat. In a small bowl, combine herbs and 2 Tblsp olive oil. Season with salt and pepper. Place chicken thighs in a large snap lock bag or shallow glass dish and cover with herb oil. Rub to coat. Cook chicken for 3 to 4 minutes each side, or until browned and cooked through.
- Set chicken aside on a plate covered with foil to rest.
- In a large bowl, combine freekeh, avocado, peaches, tomatoes and watercress. Sprinkle with goat’s cheese, pistachios and parsley leaves. Drizzle with remaining oil and balsamic vinegar. Season. Serve freekeh salad with chicken.
Tip: You can replace peaches with nectarines