Rustic Free Form Moroccan Chicken Pie
Warm up over winter with our delicious savoury Moroccan pie. The dates give it an unexpected sweet delight
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 35 minutes
- 1 x 1 kg (approx.) Lilydale Bulk Thigh Fillets, in 1cm cubes
- 3 Tblsp olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tsp ground tumeric
- 3 tsp ground cumin
- 3 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 1 long green chilli, finely diced
- 100g medjool dates, seed removed, roughly chopped
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 Tblsp corn flour, mixed with 1 tablespoon hot water
- 1 ½ cups flat leaf parsley, roughly chopped
- 4 sheets frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- Preheat oven to 220C.
- Place chicken, 1Tblsp oil, garlic, turmeric, cumin, coriander in a bowl, and mix to coat chicken. Set aside.
- Heat 2 Tblsp of olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat, cook onion until soft, add chicken and stir for 5 minutes or until chicken is brown.
- Add carrots, chilli, dates and stock. Bring mixture to the boil, add cornflour mix.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes until sauce has thickened and chicken is cooked through. Remove from heat, set aside to cool.
- To assemble the pie, stack 2 sheets of puff pastry on top of a lined baking tray.
- Spoon pie filling on to the centre of the pastry. Brush edges of pastry with beaten egg. Place remaining 2 sheets on top of each other; roll out slightly with a rolling pin. Place pastry on top of the pie filling pressing down edges with a fork to join. Trim edges to make a 26cm round. Using a sharp knife score the top of the pastry. Brush with egg. Bake for 20 minutes or until pastry is golden.
- Serve with salad.