Chermoula Chicken Pumpkin Tagine with Almond Pilaf
Flavoursome and wholesome with just the right amount of chilli and spice.
Preparation time: Over night plus 10 minutes
Cooking time: 45 minutes
- 1 x 1kg (approx.) Lilydale Bulk Breast Fillets, cut in half lengthways
- 2 Tblsp olive oil
- 2 Tblsp tomato paste
- 1 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 600 grams butternut pumpkin, cut into crescents
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 2 Tblsp honey
- 1 lemon, thickly sliced
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1/4 cup fresh flat leaf parsley, chopped
- 1/4 cup coriander leaves, chopped
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp ground turmeric
- 1 long red chilli, thinly sliced
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1 Tblsp olive oil
- 20g ghee or butter
- 1 brown onion, finely chopped
- 1 tsp finely grated fresh ginger
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 300g (1 1/2 cups) basmati rice
- 500ml (2 cups) chicken stock
- 1/3 cup slivered almonds, lightly toasted 1/3 cup fresh coriander, to serve
- To make the chermoula, combine garlic, parsley, coriander, cumin, tumeric, chilli, lemon juice and olive oil in a glass bowl.
- Add the chicken to the chermoula and toss to coat. Cover and place in the fridge overnight to marinate.
- Heat oil in a large flameproof tagine or saucepan over medium heat. Cook half the chicken for 2-3 minutes each side or until golden. Transfer to a plate. Repeat with remaining chicken.
- Add tomato paste, stock, pumpkin, honey, cinnamon to tagine, stir to combine and bring to a simmer.
- Add chicken and cover with lemon slices and raisins. Reduce heat to low and cover. Cook for 25 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through. Season with salt and pepper
- To make the pilaf, melt ghee or butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Add onion, ginger, garlic and cook, stirring, for 3 minutes or until onion is soft and translucent.
- Add the rice and stir to coat in onion mixture. Add the stock and bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, for 15 minutes or until the rice is tender and liquid absorbed. Remove from heat. Stir in the coriander and sprinkle almonds on top.
- Spoon the pilaf on the serving plates. Top with chicken, coriander, almonds and serve immediately.