Brined Lilydale Turkey with Cranberry Port Gravy & Cranberry, Pecan & Brioche Seasoning
Preparation time: 30 minutes + brining
Cooking time: 35 minutes per 500g
Christmas spells feasting and sharing a beautiful festive roast turkey with the near and dear ones. And what is turkey without all the trimmings? Our kitchen has put together a gorgeous Cranberry, Pecan and Brioche Seasoning plus a Port and Cranberry Gravy to drizzle over your succulent turkey meat. The recipe is featured below. Come back next week to know more about the sides we recommend.
Every year for 2 weeks, Lilydale Free Range Turkey is made available for the festive season. Pick yours between 17th December and 31st December at your nearest IGA store.
- 1 x 3-4 kg Lilydale Free Range Turkey
- 1 cup cooking salt
- 1 cup white sugar
- 2 cups boiling water
- 3½ litres water
- 1 x 375ml bottle verjuice
- 1 onion, finely sliced
- 8 cloves garlic, squashed
- 1 Tblsp black peppercorns
- 4 bay leaves
- 1 bunch sage
- 1 bunch thyme
- 1 cup continental parsley leaves and stalks
- extra, 1 onion, cut into quarters
- 1 lemon cut into quarters
- 75g butter
- ¼ cup plain flour
- 2½ cups chicken stock
- ½ cup cranberries soaked in ½ cup port
- Combine the cranberries and boiling water in a small bowl and allow to stand for 15 minutes.
- Heat the oil and butter in a large frying pan over medium heat. When butter is bubbling, add the onion, garlic and pancetta. Sauté for 5 minutes or until onion is transparent.
- Drain the cranberries and discard the water. In a large bowl, combine the cranberries with the onion mixture, bread chunks, pecans, herbs, stock and eggs. Mix well.
- Place into a large baking dish and bake at 180C for 45-50minutes or until the top is brown and crispy.