Lilydale Drumsticks in a Spicy Coconut Sauce
Preparation time: 30 minutes
Cooking time: 1 hour 30 minutes
- 12 Lilydale drumsticks
- 2 tspn salt
- 6 shallots, roughly chopped
- 3 long red chillis, seeds removed
- 1 Tblsp peeled chopped ginger
- 2 tspn peeled chopped turmeric
- 1 tspn ground cumin
- 2 tspn ground coriander
- 2 lemon grass stalks, only using 10cm from root end
- 3 x 400ml cans of coconut milk
- 1 Tblsp tamarind paste
- 3cm galangal, sliced
- 2 tspn dark palm sugar
- 2 Tblsp coriander leaves
- Steamed green beans to serve
- Rice and quinoa to serve
- Rub chicken with salt and let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes
- Meanwhile, place the shallots, chillis, ginger, turmeric, cumin and coriander in a food processor and pulse until finely chopped. Bruise lemongrass stalks by placing on a chopping board and lightly smash using the base of a pan.
- In a large heavy based pan, stir together the coconut milk, tamarind paste, shallot mixture, lemongrass, galangal and palm sugar. Add chicken and bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer, stirring regularly, replacing an offset lid during cooking. Cook for about 40-45 minutes until chicken is very tender.
- Discard lemongrass and galangal, return chicken to heat through. Garnish with coriander leaves and serve alongside beans, rice and quinoa.