Roast chicken with pear lemon and fennel seed stuffing
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 1 hour 25 minutes
- 50g butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 tspn fennel seeds
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 1/2 cup fresh sourdough breadcrumbs
- 1/2 chopped cup dried pears
- 2 tspn finely grated lemon rind
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1.6kg Lilydale whole chicken
- Melt the butter in a frying pan over medium high heat and cook the onion until tender, about 7 minutes. Increase heat, add fennel seeds and garlic and cook for a further minute. Remove from heat and transfer onion mixture to bowl. Stir through remaining ingredients. Season with salt and pepper, set aside to cool.
- Fill chicken cavity with stuffing, close with toothpicks or skewers. Tie drumsticks together and fold under wings.
- Place chicken on a roasting rack over a large baking dish. Bake in 190C preheated oven for 1 hour and 15 minutes, or until cooked through.