Braised Lilydale drumsticks with apples and sage
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 40 minutes
- 8 Lilydale drumsticks
- Salt and pepper
- 1 Tblsp olive oil
- 40g unsalted butter
- 1 Tblsp brown sugar
- 2 apples, Gala, peeled, cored and cut into wedges
- 3 shallots, chopped
- 1 cup salt reduced chicken stock
- 1 tspn cider vinegar
- 1 Tblsp sage leaves
- Pat chicken dry, and season with salt and pepper. Heat the oil in a large, deep heavy based frying pan over medium high heat. Brown the chicken well, turning until golden.
- Drain off most of the fat, leaving about 1 tablespoon in pan. Add butter, brown sugar, apples and shallots and cook over medium heat stirring occasionally until apples are browned, about 5 minutes.
- Pour in the stock, vinegar and sage. Bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer for a minute. Return chicken to the pan, lightly cover pan with foil. Continue simmering until chicken is cooked through and sauce has thickened slightly, about 20 minutes. Stir through sage. Serve.